How To Share Audio in iOS 13
With the release of iOS 13, Apple has integrated new security and privacy features into its operating system. Apple has also introduced a new wireless Audio Sharing feature for compatible wireless earbuds and headphones. The days of carrying a lightning-to-headphone jack adapter and headphone splitter are now over as Apple’s Audio Sharing technology allows you to easily share your audio with someone else over a Bluetooth connection. You can watch a movie together, listen to the same music, and many more.
In case you have a modern Apple device and a supported pair of wireless buds or headphones, continue reading this article on how to share audio in iOS 13 to learn more.
To use the Audio Sharing feature on your compatible iPhone or iPod Touch, you have to install the latest version of iOS, which is iOS 13.1. For iPads, you need to upgrade to iPadOS 13. Check out the Apple devices that support the Audio Sharing feature below.
Compatible Apple Devices
- iPhone 8, 8 Plus, iPhone X, XS, XR, XS Max, iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max
- iPad Pro 10.5-inch, 11-inch, 12.9-inch (2nd gen or later)
- iPad (5th gen or later)
- iPad Air (3rd gen)
- iPad mini (5th gen)
- iPod touch (7th gen)
The Audio Sharing feature is currently available for wireless earbuds and headphones with Apple’s H1 or W1 chip inside. Check out the list of supported audio devices below. Make sure that both you and your friend own one of the devices.
Compatible Apple-certified Audio Devices
- Apple AirPods (1st gen or later) [Amazon link]
- Apple AirPods Pro
- Powerbeats Pro [Amazon link]
- Powerbeats3 [Flipkart link]
- Beats Solo3 Wireless [Amazon link] [Flipkart link]
- Beats Studio3 Wireless [Flipkart link]
- BeatsX [Amazon link]
Guide: Setting Up Audio Sharing
Sharing audio in iOS 13.1 and iPadOS 13 is a straightforward process. You can follow the step-by-step instructions below in order to pair two audio devices with your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch.
- To get started, you have to activate pairing mode on your wireless earbuds or headphones. Here we are going to use Apple AirPods as an example. To get your AirPods in pairing mode, open the charger case lid.
- The audio device will show up on your iOS device. Tap Connect to pair.
- Now launch your preferred video or music streaming app on your iOS device and play a video or music.
- After that, tap the AirPlay icon in the app. You can also access it from the Control Center or the Lock screen.
- In the AirPlay settings, tap Share Audio below the Headphones section.
- Now put your friend’s Apple-certified wireless earbuds or headphones in pairing mode and hold it close to your iOS device.
- Once you see your friend’s earbuds or headphones pop-up on your screen, tap Share Audio.
You can now enjoy listening to a podcast or watching a video with your friend with Audio Sharing.
Controlling Audio in Audio Sharing Mode
- From the iOS Control Center or Lock screen, you can change the audio volume and use the media controls to play, pause, and stop the audio playback.
- You can adjust the volume slider for either set of earbuds or headphones, or drag the volume slider at the bottom to control the volume for both audio devices.
- You and your friend can also manually adjust the volume with the capacitive controls or dedicated buttons on your earbuds or headphones. If you change the volume with headphone controls, the volume will change for you only.
Stopping Audio Sharing
If you want to stop Audio Sharing on your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch, follow the instructions below.
- Tap the AirPlay icon in the video or music streaming app, Control Center, or the Lock screen.
- Untick the check next to the audio device you want to stop sharing audio with.
Doing this will disconnect the wireless earbuds or headphones from your iOS device.
In this guide, we have highlighted Apple’s Audio Sharing feature in iOS 13.1 and iPadOS 13. You can follow the step-by-step instructions above to connect a secondary audio device to your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch and listen to music or watch a video with your friend. If you have any questions regarding the pairing process and compatibility, let us know in the comments section below.
For the latest tech news and updates, Install TechCodex App and follow us on Facebook and Twitter. Also, if you like our efforts, consider sharing this story with your friends, this will encourage us to bring more exciting updates for you.