A Google account is probably one of the first services you’ve signed up for. It gives you access to Google’s free suite of services, such as Drive, Photos, Gmail, Maps, YouTube, and many more. Nowadays, it is necessary to create an alternate Google account, and here’s why.
A couple of weeks ago, a YouTuber named Markiplier hosted a stream for his new YouTube Originals show, where thousands of people joined to see his stream. During the live stream, hundreds of viewers’ Google account were permanently banned because of “spamming emotes.” After an explosive criticism from the YouTuber and user community, the banned accounts were restored, and it took them days to restore everyone’s accounts.
Google’s new Terms of Service says that they might suspend or terminate your account if you ‘misuse’ any of Google’s services. We don’t know what type of ‘misuse’ Google is implying here, especially after the incident on YouTube. Depending on how much you use its services in your daily life, getting your account suspended might either not bother you at all or put you in a devastating situation.
But as long as you are not using your Google account for illegal purposes, you won’t get banned from using Google services. Still, until Google reassures existing users that each of their services is separated from each other, it might be a better idea to have an alternate account for a specific use apart from the one you use daily. In this article, we are going to provide step-by-step instructions to help you set up an alternate Google account.
Creating an alternate Google Account
To get started, let’s create a new Google account.
- Open a web browser on your smartphone or PC to visit accounts.google.com.
- Click Create account and select if it’s for personal or business use.
- Fill the form with your information, including your name, account username, and password. You will also need to specify your date of birth, gender, and a mobile number for verification. Make sure you put your primary email account as the recovery email address.
- After you successfully create your account, you can change your profile picture or enable two-factor authentication from myaccount.google.com.
Adding an alternate Google Account on the web
To add the newly created Google account in your web browser, visit myaccount.google.com, and follow the steps below.
- Click the Profile icon at the top-right corner of the webpage.
- Now select Add another account from the drop-down menu.
- Put the credentials of your alternate account to sign in.
Once you manage to sign in, you will be able to switch between your primary and alt accounts from every Google service.
Adding an alternative Google Account to your Phone
If you own an Android device, you can easily add multiple accounts and switch between them. Here’s how to do it:
- Open your device’s Settings app from the app drawer.
- Tap Accounts > Add account > Google.
- Sign in with your alternate email and password, then follow the on-screen instructions.
Note: The process varies from manufacturer to manufacturer as most of the Android devices come with customized skin (ex: MIUI, OneUI, ColorOS) on top of Android.
For iOS users, apps like Drive, Photos, and Gmail has a separate option for adding multiple Google accounts. Or, you can install the Google app from the App Store to add your primary and alternate Google account for all services.
Simple tap the Profile icon in Google apps to select or add an account you want to use. It applies to both Android and iOS. On Android, you can also drag down the Profile icon to switch between your Google accounts.
In this article, we have discussed the importance of having an alternate Google account and included a step-by-step guide to help you set it up for your devices. If you have any questions regarding this topic, let us know in the comments below. We’ll try our best to reach out to you with an answer.
For the latest tech news and updates, Install TechCodex App, and follow us on Facebook and Twitter. Also, if you like our efforts, consider sharing this story with your friends, this will encourage us to bring more exciting updates for you.