Whatsapp’s ever-growing user count has recently passed the 1.5 billion mark. The Facebook-owned online messaging app is now a must-have app on every Android and iOS device. While some people use WhatsApp purely to stay connected with friends and families, others now have started to use it for various purposes. Whether it is a freelancer job interview or live customer support chat, WhatsApp is now an essential medium in the golden era of communication.
WhatsApp’s backup feature saves user chat history and lets the user restore it in case of a data loss situation. However, if you want to use your chat history as legal evidence or for business purposes and research samples, an offline printout looks more presentable than uncropped screenshots. Even if you want to send a copy of the chat history to someone, you might want to export your chat in PDF format in times like this. This guide will show you the way to export Whatsapp chat in PDF format.
Exporting WhatsApp Chat as PDF
Now, there is an option to export chats in Whatsapp. However, it exports your entire conversation in .txt format instead of .pdf. The workaround for this is to use a separate app in order to convert the .txt file to .pdf extension. For that, we will use Google Docs. Here’s how to export WhatsApp chat in PDF on Android devices:
- Download and install the Google Docs app from the Play Store on your Android device.
- Launch WhatsApp on your device and tap the chat history you want to export.
- Tap the three-dot icon (⋮) above the chat.
- Click More at the bottom of the drop-down menu, then select Export Chat.
- The share menu will appear. Choose Gmail from the list of apps.
- Once you get to the Gmail compose window, tap the three-dot icon above and select Save draft.
- Return to the home screen to launch the Gmail app.
- Tap the hamburger icon (☰) at the top left corner to select Drafts.
- Open the drafted mail, and click the Download icon next to the attachment.
- Open the downloaded .txt file with Google Docs.
- Tap the three-dot icon > Share & Export > Save as.
- Fill the circle next to PDF document (.pdf) and tap OK. You will be redirected to Google Drive.
- Click the Download icon above to download the PDF file of your WhatsApp chat history.
You can now print the PDF file or share it to someone else. If you use an iOS device, the process is similar to what we have done here on Android, except that you have to access the PDF file from iCloud or Google Drive. You can get Google Docs for iOS from the App Store.
This guide contains a detailed set of step-by-step instructions to export WhatsApp chats in PDF format. You can follow this guide to do it on both Android and iOS devices. In case you want to see deleted messages that someone sent you on WhatsApp, click here to check out the guide on TechCodex.