Modern smartphones with big and bright displays have made it possible for us to watch millions of content in virtually any place at any time. But there are times when you’re watching something on your smartphone and want to share it with others, or just watch it on your TV with a massive display.
Thanks to screen mirroring, you can cast your Android or iOS screen on your TV so you can enjoy your content exactly as you see it on your smartphone—only bigger.
If you are wondering how to mirror your Android or iOS screen to your TV, continue reading this article as we have a guide to help you do it.
- 1 How To Mirror Android Screen To TV
- 2 How To Mirror Your iPhone Or iPad screen To TV
- 3 Using Apple’s Digital AV Adapter
How To Mirror Android Screen To TV
- Using Chromecast
- Using Miracast
If you have a TV that runs on Android, you can easily mirror your Android screen to it with Google Chromecast. It works as an audio and video transmitter between your smartphone and your TV. Most of the Android certified TVs come with built-in Chromecast hardware, but you can also buy a Chromecast device separately and plug it into your non-smart TV to mirror your smartphone screen. You can buy Chromecast 3 from here.
- A Chromecast device (If you have an Android TV with built-in Chromecast you don’t need an external device).
- A Google Account.
- An Android phone/tablet running Android 5.0 or higher.
- A TV with an HDMI input (For plugging the Chromecast device).
- Access to a wireless network (Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n/ac 2.4ghz or 5ghz) and a stable internet connection.
Setting up Chromecast for Android
- Turn on your TV, connect your Chromecast device to your TV’s HDMI port and connect its power cord to a power outlet. Change your TV output to HDMI.
- Now, download and install the Google Home app from Google Play Store or click here.
- Open the Google Home app, tap on Get Started. It will ask you to confirm which Google account you want to use for Chromecast.
- After that, permit the app to use location services so it can find your Chromecast device. Tap on OK to continue.
- The app will start scanning to find your Chromecast. When it finds it, tap Next.
- Now your TV will show a unique code. If you see it, tap Yes on your device. If you don’t see it, click on Try again, and tap on Scan for devices.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to set-up your device properly.
- Your home Wi-Fi password will automatically get filled in the Google Home app. You can also enter it manually and tap Connect to connect your Chromecast to your Wi-Fi network.
If you have successfully set-up your Chromecast device, you will be able to mirror your Android screen to your TV.
Note: Quality-wise it’s a hit or miss with screen mirroring. Sometimes the aspect ratio of your Android device affects the aspect ratio of the transmitted video. You can use Google’s ‘Cast’ feature to play content from Chromecast-compatible video and music streaming apps in full quality. (Chromecast maxes out at 1080p, Chromecast Ultra supports 4K)
Mirroring your Android screen using Chromecast
- Make sure your Android device is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your Chromecast or TV with Chromecast built-in.
- Now, open the Google Home app.
- Tap the three-lined sandwich icon (☰) in the top left corner. Then tap on Cast Screen/audio.
- Finally, select your Chromecast device to start mirroring.
- If you want to stop mirroring, follow the steps above and tap Disconnect, or pull down the notification drawer on your Android device, tap the “Casting screen” notification and then tap Disconnect.
TV brands such as Sony, Samsung, and LG use Miracast technology in their cheap Internet TVs and give you the option to mirror your Android screen. Sony calls it ‘Screen mirroring’, Samsung calls it ‘AllShare Cast’ and LG calls it ‘Screen Share’, but all of them use the same Miracast technology. If your TV has it, open it and go to your Android device’s Settings and search for wireless display. Your TV will show up in the ‘Available Devices’ list. Tapping on it will start mirroring your Android screen. If your TV doesn’t support Miracast, you can buy a Miracast receiver and plug it into the HDMI port to get the functionality. In case you already own an Amazon Fire Stick, you can do screen mirroring as it supports Miracast.
How To Mirror Your iPhone Or iPad screen To TV
- Using Chromecast
- Using Apple’s Digital AV adapter
Unfortunately, iOS doesn’t support screen mirroring on Chromecast. However, it is possible to cast content from your favorite video and music streaming apps with Google’s ‘Cast’ feature. If your iPhone / iPad is connected to the same network as your Chromecast device, you will see the cast icon in the top-right corner of your preferred app. Apps like Youtube, Netflix, Google Play Movies & TV, Soundcloud, Spotify and many more include support for Chromecast on iOS.
Chromecast for iPhone / iPad needs your device to run iOS 11 or higher. So make sure your device is updated to the latest version of iOS. Similar to Android, you can follow the instructions mentioned above to set up Chromecast for iOS. Download the Google Home app from App Store, or click here to get redirected.
Using Apple’s Digital AV Adapter
You can use Apple’s Lightning to Digital AV adapter for screen mirroring. Here’s how to do it:
- First, connect the adapter to the lightning port of your iPhone or iPad.
- Use an HDMI cable to connect the adapter to your TV.
- Switch your display source to HDMI. You will see your iPhone / iPad screen mirrored on your TV.
Note: The video resolution maxes out at 1080p with the AV adapter.
If you have an Android TV, you can use ApowerMirror for TV to mirror your iPhone or iPad screen on your TV. Here’s how to use it:
- First, download and install ApowerMirror on your Android TV. You can get it from Google Play Store.
- Do the same on your iPhone or iPad. You can get the app from the App Store.
- Now, make sure you have your iPhone / iPad and TV connected to the same Wi-Fi network. Launch the app on both of the devices.
- On your iOS device, wait for the app to detect your TV. When it finds it, tap on the name of your TV.
- After that, open the Control Center on your iPhone by swiping down from the top-right corner of the display, and tap Screen Mirroring.
- Finally, tap on the name that says, “Apowersoft”. Your phone screen will be successfully mirrored to your TV.
This is the easiest way for you to mirror your iOS screen on a smart TV. The only downside of using this app is that the video quality is mediocre and the video and audio tend to stutter frequently.
For the latest tech news and updates, Install TechnoCodex App and follow us on Facebook and Twitter. Also, if you like our efforts, consider sharing this story with your friends, this will encourage us to bring more exciting updates for you.