WhatsApp is a popular messaging app and used by over 1.5 billion monthly active users across the globe. It offers a variety of chat and privacy-related features for free. Facebook, the owner of WhatsApp, keeps on adding the latest features to the app to help it stay ahead of the other apps. But the only function WhatsApp is missing for a long time now is the dark theme.
The dark theme has become a trendsetter. The majority of Google apps, system-wide dark mode in Android 10 and iOS 13, Instagram, Twitter, and dozens more already got the dark theme. However, WhatsApp is an exception. The developers announced to be working on a dark theme for WhatsApp mobile and desktop for a long time now. But there were no official words on the rollout date.
Two days ago, popular WhatsApp data miner WABetaInfo found a workaround to enable dark mode on Whatsapp’s web version. The web version of WhatsApp is the same as the mobile version, but it runs on a web interface. If you want to try out the dark mode on WhatsApp Web, follow this TechCodex guide to learn more.
- Currently, there are two web browsers you can try to enable dark mode on WhatsApp Web – Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. You can also try out other Chromium-based web browsers with extensions support, but for now, we are sticking to Chrome and Firefox only. You can follow the step-by-step instructions below in order to get dark mode working on WhatsApp Web.
- Make sure you have updated your web browser to the latest version. Otherwise, you will face compatibility issues with the extension we are going to use for enabling the dark theme on WhatsApp Web.
Enabling Dark Mode on WhatsApp Web
To enable dark mode on WhatsApp Web, go through the guide corresponding to your web browser below.
- First, open a new tab in Google Chrome.
- Click here to get redirected to the Stylus download page on Chrome Web Store.
- Click Add to Chrome to add the Stylus extension to your Chrome browser.
- After adding the extension, visit this link and click Install Style.
- Now head over to WhatsApp Web and enjoy the dark theme.
- Launch Mozilla Firefox on your PC.
- Click here to go to the Stylus download page on Firefox Add-ons.
- Click Install to integrate the extension to your Firefox browser.
- Now get the WhatsApp dark theme from here by clicking Install Style.
- The dark theme is now enabled on WhatsApp Web.
In this guide, we have discussed dark mode on Whatsapp Web and provided a detailed step-by-step procedure to help you enable it on Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox using the Stylus extension. In case you want to switch between dark and light mode, simply click the Stylus extension icon at the top-right corner of your browser and toggle Turn all styles off/on. You can also opt for other themes from the UserStyles website. In case you have any queries related to this topic, let us know in the comments section below.
For the latest tech news and updates, Install TechCodex App, and follow us on Facebook and Twitter. Also, if you like our efforts, consider sharing this story with your friends, this will encourage us to bring more exciting updates for you.