1. Hiding ‘online’ presence on WhatsApp
Hiding WhatsApp account information
When using WhatsApp, your account displays your profile photo, about, status, last seen, and online status. The instant messaging app now allows you to hide your ‘online’ status in addition to hiding your profile photo, about, status, and last seen. You can allow your selected WhatsApp contacts to see your WhatsApp account information, or you can hide it from everyone. Here’s how you can do it:
- Open WhatsApp on your phone.
- Go to
Settingsby tapping on the three-dot menu available at the top right corner.
- Select the Privacy tab.
- Hide from everyone or select WhatsApp contacts: Last seen and online status, Profile photo, About and Status.
2. Managing WhatsApp messaging settings
Turning off read receipts
WhatsApp allows users to control and manage messaging settings within the app. You can turn off your WhatsApp read receipts, which will not let recipients know if you have read the messages or not. Additionally, you won’t be able to know if the sender has read your messages or not. This setting is helpful if you don’t want your WhatsApp contacts to be aware of when you’ve read a message and not replied on time. Here’s how to go about it:
- Launch WhatsApp on your smartphone.
- Tap on the three-dot menu option available at the top right corner.
- Then, select the Settings option from the drop-down menu.
- Go to the Privacy tab.
- Then, turn the toggle off for Read receipts.