Backlinks also known as inbound or external links, are links from other websites to you. Link building is one of the most important ways to build your reputation and ensure brand and content visibility. Both of these means higher Google ranking, more organic traffic, and of course more conversions. Keep in mind it is a process, so it will take time and strategy to increase the links that go to your site. That being said, the 3 tips listed here will give you a fantastic head start.
Tip #1: Choose Quality Links Over Quantity
Quality links have a few important characteristics in common. Make sure your links possess most if not all of these top traits.
- They are trusted and authoritative. Look for a sites DA score, or domain authority, so you know which sites you want to link too.
- Target Keywords in your link’s anchor text or visible text part of your link. Making sure your link includes a targeted keyword is a must.
- The website and page linking to you should be relevant to your site. Being industry-specific is a big win for Google who wants to see your links from niche sites. For example, if you offer a line of athletic gear, make sure your links are in line with your industry, such as sports and equipment as opposed to irrelevant links to origami or home decor.
- Unique links. If you get the same site linking to you over and over again, you will actually suffer from low returns. Instead, aim to get unique links from authoritative sites. So 100 different links is the way to go as opposed to 100 from the same site.
Tip #2: Strategic Content Creation and Promotion
The content you write should be focused on creating what is referred to as white hat backlinks. White hat refers to any practice that will improve search rankings on SERP’s, maintains integrity, and stays within search engine’s terms of service. Ultimately you need to create unique, high-quality content that will attract links. Here are a few ways you can make sure your content is top-notch and will bring you tons of great links.
- Be systematic in how you create your content. Check out your competitors content and make it more in-depth, up-to-date, and improve your content design. UX affects the perceived value.
- Email outreach to the right people. The right people, in this case, refers to people that run a site in your industry, interested in your topic, already have linked to a piece of content on that topic.
Tip #3: Use Link Building Tools
Using the right tools will ensure you get the most out of your links every time. Tools make link building simple and fast. Here are a few of the best link building tools.
- Ahrefs – a link building suite specifically designed for the pros of SEO. That being said it is very user-friendly for nontechnical people. It also offers a bunch of other great tools to help you optimize your keywords, rank tracking, and SEO audits. Bonus – Ahrefs has an excellent feature called Link Intersect, that actually shows you which sites are not linking to you but are linking to your competitors.
- BuzzSumo is an excellent tool that finds the high-performing content pieces of your competitors. This allows to write the material your target audience is reading, use the same keywords for reach, and make sure your content quality reflects your brand’s value.
If you don’t have internal resources that are capable of handling link-building, you can always hire a company that offers link building services.
While link building is hands down one of the more difficult SEO techniques to master, this is one area that has a massive return on investment. Using tools like Ahrefs and BuzzSumo will help you locate the links you want as well as the content that is performing well for your competitors. This, in turn, means you can strategically leverage your content to outshine the competition by being more thorough, current, and pack a fantastic design as well. Always choose quality over quantity when it comes to promotion. You want links that will increase your rankings from authoritative sites in your niche. Following these tips will set you on the right patc\h to link building success!