Japanese gaming giant Nintendo has acknowledged that they faced a data breach since early April in which around 300,000 accounts were illegally accessed. The company confirms that only personal details such as birthdays and email addresses were compromised in this breach and not the credit card details.
An initial hack in April compromised 160,000 accounts and a further 140,000 breaches have been discovered since then, the Kyoto-based firm said in a statement released late Tuesday.
“We deeply apologize for causing trouble and worries to customers,” Nintendo said in its statement, pledging to “enhance security… to prevent this happening again.”
Hackers broke into Nintendo Network IDs, intended for services on the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS, and then migrated to Nintendo Accounts, which can be used for purchases at the company’s official online store.
The company mentioned that only a fraction of total sales were reported to be fraudulent purchases from hacked Nintendo accounts and it vowed to reimburse victims if it had not already done so.
Nintendo users took to social media to complain that hackers were accessing their Nintendo accounts and then abusing attached payment card info to buy Fortnite currency and other Nintendo games.
The company disabled the ability to log in using your Nintendo Network ID, and the passwords of impacted accounts will be reset. People whose accounts were breached will be notified via email, and Nintendo recommends you set up two-step verification for your account if you haven’t already.
For the latest tech news and updates, Install TechCodex App, and follow us on Google News, Facebook, and Twitter. Also, if you like our efforts, consider sharing this story with your friends, this will encourage us to bring more exciting updates for you.