A new patch is coming to NHL 21 on November 5, and it’s a big one. The newest update for PS4 and Xbox One makes a series of changes to gameplay, physics, goalies, and AI, while it also makes many improvements to various modes such as Be A Pro, Hut Rush, and World of Chel.
The AI changes will make the computer-controlled skaters more skilled with things like improved weak side defender coverage when in front of the net and better defensive positioning when defending a rush. As for the general gameplay changes, players should expect to have a tougher time scoring goals when shots are taken from “non-ideal” locations. Additionally, puck pickup animations are now better around the net, while instances where tall players struggled to pick the puck up have been addressed.
In terms of the presentation, the center ice layouts for the Arizona Coyotes, Calgary Flames, and Ottawa Senators has been updated, while a series of new uniforms are now available covering teams in the NHL, as well as various international leagues.
You can see the full NHL 21 patch notes below, as posted by EA on its website.
In other news, the retro-style NHL 94 Rewind mode is now available in NHL 21 for people who pre-ordered–here’s everything you need to know.
NHL 21 November 5 Patch Notes
- Updated shot quality impact for shots that are taken from non-ideal shot locations (reaching and shots in tight to the body)
- Fixed a specific case where a penalty shot was called despite the player not having a clean break
- Fixes for pickup consistency while the puck is around the net and goaltenders
- Fixed a few specific pickups where tall players were having trouble picking up the puck
- Fixed some cases where reviewed goals were overriding goalie interference situations
- Fixed a case where players were unable to get back on the ice after taking coincidental roughing penalties
- Fixed a case where stick on stick contact wasn’t being recognized
- Various post whistle and scrum player alignment fixes
- Fixed various cases where players would lose the puck unintentionally when blending between animations
- Fixed some cases where collisions along the boards were leading to either no hit reaction or a smaller reaction than expected
- Fixes to pass blocks where the puck was able to get under/through the stick
- Animation improvements to various goalie stances
- Added glove down butterfly proximity for old school goalie stances
- Various goalie save animation improvements
- Tuned Goalie redirects to avoid some rare collisions where they could redirect the puck off themself
- Improvements to save selection for Human goalies
- Reduced the chance of the AI goalie triggering a preemptive desperation save when they still have time to get back into position
- General tuning for how the ai goalie tracks the puck
- Various puck cover improvements
- Fixed an issue where the goalie would sometimes spin when attempting an on ice cover
- Improved some Defensive AI gap control cases while defending against the rush
- Fixed a case where puck carriers could split the defensemen while the defenders switched their coverage on the rush
- Improved weak side defender coverage in front of the net
- Fixed an issue where a player would sometimes choose to start a net battle after starting to intercept which would unintentionally allow pucks through
- Added videos to training camp for the new dekes introduced this year
- Fixes for screen tearing with certain camera angles in various arenas
- Various camera tuning
- Added replays in the Pause Menu
- Added the ability to skip NISes for rounds 1 and 2 of Eliminator Threes
- Update to the bench camera within Be a Pro to give a better view of the action
World of CHEL
- EASHL Club Finals history screen was added to showcase the top teams from each WoC Season
- Added additional content into WoC for upcoming Chel Challenges. Check back often to collect the latest cool new content
- Fixed an issue where the game would sometimes softlock if an opponent suddenly quit after starting a match
- Fixed a rare hang that occurs during the intro NIS of an EASHL game
- Fixed an issue where the user would sometimes crash on the Post Game Screen
- Fixed a rare crash that would sometimes occur when trying to back out of a post-matchup Dressing room
- Fixed a rare issue where users would sometimes hang in a Threes Eliminator Club Dressing room
- Fixed an issue where the title sometimes hangs during a 3v3 Drop-in game intro
- Fixed an issue where the dressing room host gets removed from the dressing room if an opponent team backs out at the matchup screen
- Fixed an issue where any user skater on the same EASHL Drop-In team can pull the user goalie at any point during a game
- Fixed an issue where the Club Pants & Socks were not showing the correct club colors in the post matchup dressing room
- Fixed an issue where the Player stamina and traits/specialties overlaps the goal scorer overlay
- Fixed an issue where the Team overlay was overlapping the Round overlay in Threes Eliminator
- Fixed the Player model overlapping the Player Name during the End of Game, Player of the Game Screen
- Fixed an issue where the championship jerseys had a 20 instead of 21 for the jersey number
- Fixed an issue where changing your gloves for a second time in Creation Zone was not equipping them
- Fixed an issue where custom logos and center ice lines were not showing up during games in users arena
- Fixed an issue where the Club custom ice line was showing up in the Club Finals Arena
- Fixed Club default search settings not carrying over to the Dressing room matchmaking settings
- Fixed an issue where players EASHL goal total during the game intro NIS would show as the combination of goals and assists
- Fixed an issue where the Opponents have their name cut off in the Pro-Am Dressing Room
- Fixed an alignment issue for the Ones Eliminator player list in the abuse reporting
- Fixed an issue where the player progression screen referred to XP received from Chel Challenge cards as Rank Rewards
- To more easily read the Player Rank a thousand comma separator was added in the Player Summary Screen
- To more easily read the Experience Points a thousand comma separator was added in the End of game screen when a user gains over 1,000 XP
- Fix for an issue where defenders were not showing the correct line chemistry values.
- Fix for an issue where Auto Scouting would not rope in early round prospects.
- Fix for an issue where you were unable to see the goalie filter when assigning a scout.
- Fix for an issue where LD and C are mislabeled in the edit lines screen.
Be A Pro
- Suspected Fix for an issue where the users BAP player’s stamina would not decrease when on the ice.
- Added in Neutral States to certain promises. For example, the user promises to be the 1 star of the game, the user will now receive lesser punishment for still performing well but not reaching the goal. Previously you would fail and get the full punishment.
- Added in a Trade Request Conversation that can be accessed in the Main Hub in the user initiated conversation tab.
- Added in new conversations to renew a re-occurring salary perk when it expires.
- Added the ability to edit shot style and skating style post BAP creation.
- Updated the user experience of the training screen.
- Various miscellaneous fixes to conversations.
- Removed the automatic pop-up when entering Edit Lines before advancing to a game
- Press the Menu / Options Button to advance to game from Edit Lines
- Made various bug fixes and visual tweaks to Base Items and Primetime Items
- Fixed an issue where Players would see the result of the previous game played after their opponent disconnected
- Fixed an issue where the the Goal banner would display at the end of a game in HUT Rush Threes
- Fixed an issue where the Goal banner for a Game Winning Goal would not display at the end of a game in HUT Rush Threes
- Fixed an issue where one of two actions displayed in the points ticker at the same time had the incorrect display name
- Fixed an issue where the game could continue without selecting a side after a controller disconnect
- Fixed an issue where the camera would sometimes be zoomed in too much during the intro/outro in a 5v5 game
- Fixed an issue where only 1 Pack Reward per Rank was displayed
- Fixed an issue where Objectives visually appeared to unlock (while already being unlocked)
Play a Friend
- Fixed an issue where a Player would get an error message trying to join a Play a Friend Game as the 3rd Player
- Fixed an issue where the option to Filter Auction by Buy Now Price was missing
- Fixed an issue where the duplicate icon was not present on duplicate players
- Fixed Edit Player where the overalls are consistently shown between Creation zone and Menus.
Center Ice Changes
Updated the following Center Ice layouts:
- Arizona Coyotes
- Calgary Flames
- Ottawa Senators
The following uniforms have been added or updated in NHL 21
- Arizona Coyotes Home
- Calgary Flames Home, Away and Alternate
- Ottawa Senators Home and Away
- Vegas Golden Knights Alternate
- Greenville Swamp Rabbits Home, Away and Alternate
- Maine Mariners Alternate
- Djurgarden Hockey Home and Away
- Farjestads BK Home and Away
- Orebro Hockey Home, Away and Alternate
- Rogle BK Home and Away
- Skelleftea AIK Home and Away
- KalPa Kuopio Home and Away
- Mikkelin Jukurit Home and Away
- SaiPa Home and Away
- TPS Turku Home and Away
- Dornbirn Bulldogs Home and Away
- EC-KAC Home and Away
- EC VSV Home and Away
- EC Red Bull Salzburg Home and Away
- EHC Linz Home and Away
- Hydro Fehervar AV19 Home and Away
- HC TWK Innsbruck Home and Away
- Graz 99ers Home and Away
- SPUSU Vienna Capitals Home and Away
- HCB Sudtirol Alperia Home and Away
- Almstuna IS Home and Away
- BIK Karlskoga Home and Away
- HC Vita Hasten Home and Away
- IF Bjorkloven Home and Away
- Kristianstads IK Home and Away
- MODO Hockey Home and Away
- Mora IK Home and Away
- Sodertalje SK Home and Away
- Timra IK Home and Away
- Tingsryds AIF Home and Away
- Vasteras IK Home and Away
- EHC Biel Home and Away
- EV Zug Home and Away
- HC Ambri-Piotta Home and Away
- HC Davos Home and Away
- HC Fribourg-Gotteron Home and Away
- HC Lugano Home and Away
- Geneve-Servette HC Home and Away
- Lausanne HC Home and Away
- SC Bern Home and Away
- SCL Tigers Home and Away
- Rapperswil-Jona Lakers Home and Away
- ZSC Lions Home and Away
- Fixed an issue where the 2016-17 Detroit Red Wings Home Jersey had stretched Numbers and Letters
- Updated the Florida Panthers Scoreboard and Power Ring Video Art
- Updated the All-Star team’s arena to be the Enterprise Center in St. Louis
- Fixed the All-Stars Home Arena where it was showing an international goal crease and missing trapezoid
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.
For the latest tech news and updates, Install TechCodex App, and follow us on Google News, Facebook, and Twitter. Also, if you like our efforts, consider sharing this story with your friends, this will encourage us to bring more exciting updates for you.