Let the hype begin. Mewtwo is back in raids and it will be here for the rest of June. It will have its Psychic-type signature move of Psystrike during its first week back with it Ghost-type signature move of Shadow Ball replacing it during the second week of its rotation. With this Raid Guide, you can prepare a team to take on Mewtwo, perfect your catching strategy, and understand this Legendary Pokémon’s 100% IVs and Shiny rate.
Top Mewtwo Counters
Pokebattler, which calculates all possible combinations of Pokémon and moves, lists the top 10 Mewtwo counters as such:
- Mega Gengar: Shadow Claw, Shadow Ball
- Shadow Mewtwo: Psycho Cut, Shadow Ball
- Mega Houndoom: Snarl, Foul Play
- Shadow Weavile: Snarl, Foul Play
- Shadow Tyranitar: Bite, Crunch
- Mega Gyarados: Bite, Crunch
- Mega Absol: Snarl, Dark Pulse
- Chandelure: Hex, Shadow Ball
- Origin Forme Giratina: Shadow Claw, Shadow Ball
- Hoopa Unbound: Astonish, Dark Pulse
It is recommended to power up your counters as much as possible, but creating that amount of strong Shadow Pokémon with their moves unlocked is a tall order for even the most practiced players. Here are ten additional non-Shadow and non-Mega counters that can help take down Mewtwo with efficiency.
- Hoopa Confined: Astonish, Shadow Ball
- Darkrai: Snarl, Dark Pulse
- Yveltal: Snarl, Dark Pulse
- Mewtwo: Psycho Cut, Shadow Ball
- Gengar: Shadow Claw, Shadow Ball
- Zarude: Bite, Dark Pulse
- Weavile: Snarl, Foul Play
- Hydreigon: Bite, Dark Pulse
- Tyranitar: Bite, Crunch
- Genesect: Fury Cutter, X-Scissor
How Many Trainers Are Needed?
Mewtwo will take three trainers minimum to take it down. If you cannot guarantee the top counters with maxed-out CP and the best moves, your best bet is to make sure you have four or more players.
Using the Circle Lock Technique to guarantee Great or Excellent throws, along with Golden Razz Berries, is the best way to catch Pokémon.
Shiny Odds & 100% IVs
The Shiny rate for Legendary Pokémon is approximately one in 20.
When looking for a Pokémon with the best stats, the 100% IV Mewtwo will have a CP of 2387 in normal weather conditions and 2984 in boosted conditions.
Happy raiding, fellow trainers!