Disintegration, the sci-fi shooter from Halo co-creator Marcus Lehto, is losing all its multiplayer modes over the next few months. Developer V1 Interactive said the game didn’t build enough of a player base in order to sustain online multiplayer.
“We stand by the creative risks taken to launch such a unique, genre-bending game created by this small but talented and passionate team,” a post on the studio’s official site read. “While our player base showed interest in the single player campaign, the game unfortunately struggled to build a significant audience necessary for a compelling multiplayer experience. After weighing options, we have collectively made the decision to sunset the multiplayer support.”
The studio has already removed the in-game store where players could purchase cosmetics. The other multiplayer modes will be removed “in phases” up until November 17.
Disintegration launched earlier this year on June 15 to mixed reviews from critics. Several said that it tried to do too much by combining real-time strategy mechanics with third-person shooter gameplay. Others, like GameSpot’s own Mike Epstein, enjoyed the fusion of genres.
“When Disintegration works, it really works. You’re shooting guns, you’re calling advances and retreats, ordering missile strikes. You really get the sense that you’re in the thick of it, the heart of a battle,” said Epstein in his Disintegration review. “Both the excitement and stress it induces are testaments to how thoroughly the gameplay draws you in. There are elements around the periphery of the experience that could have been better tuned, but they do not detract from what makes it work.”
GameSpot may get a commission from retail offers.
For the latest tech news and updates, Install TechCodex App, and follow us on Google News, Facebook, and Twitter. Also, if you like our efforts, consider sharing this story with your friends, this will encourage us to bring more exciting updates for you.