If you have finally decided to switch to a new Android or iOS smartphone, transferring your existing data including contacts, calendar, photos, and videos to a new Android device or iPhone can be exhausting and laborious. It is relatively easy to move your files between two Android devices because of Google’s ecosystem. The same applies to Apple devices. However, switching from an iPhone to an Android phone and vice-versa means that you are also switching to a different operating system.
That’s why we decided to do our research to help you switch from Android to Android, Android to iOS, iOS to iOS, and iOS to Android. To learn more, continue reading this article on how to switch to a new Android or iOS device.
Before you jump straight to the migration process, make sure to do these things:
- Plug your old and new Android or iOS devices into power.
- Turn on Wi-Fi on your existing device.
- Create a backup of your data on Google Drive or iCloud in case of a connection failure.
Switch from your old Android device to a new Android device
The migration process is simple for Android devices. If you are switching from your old Android device to a new one, follow the steps below.
- Power on your new Android device. Follow the on-screen instructions until you get the option to bring your data from a backup from an Android device, cloud backup or an iPhone.
- Tap ‘A Backup from an Android Phone.” Open the Google app on your old device as instructed. Tap Next once you do it.
- Now type “Set up my device” in the search box or say “OK Google, set up my device.” A page will open up. Tap Next to continue.
- Your old phone will start searching for your new phone. When your new device shows up in the search results, tap on it to proceed. Your new device will ask you to verify your old device. Tap to confirm.
- On the next page, check if both of your devices show the same shapes and numbers. Tap Next on your old device to verify.
- Now confirm your screen lock on the old device.
- Tap Copy on the next page. Your new device will ask you to enter the password of your Google account. Tap Sign In.
- Your contacts, calendars, photos, and videos will be synced to your new device. For apps, head over to Google Play Store. Swipe left from the edge and tap My apps & games. You will get the option to install apps that you have used on your old device.
Note: The setup process is the same for almost all the Android devices running a customized version of Android with Google Play Services.
Switch from your old Android device to a new iOS device
If you have bought a new iPhone or iPad, here’s how to switch from an Android device:
- Download the Move to iOS app from Google Play Store on your Android device.
- Turn on your Apple device and select your language.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to set up your device until you come to the Apps & Data page. Tap Move Data from Android.
- Tap Continue on the next page called Move from Android. A six-digit code will show up.
- Now launch the Move to iOS app on your Android device. Tap Continue to get started. Tap Agree in the terms and conditions page and then tap Next in the top-right corner.
- Enter the six-digit code from your iOS device.
- Select the data you want to move to your new Apple device, and tap Next. Your data will start transferring from your Android device to your iOS one.
Your contacts, photos and videos, message history, bookmarks, Google and other accounts will get moved to your iPhone. Some of your apps will be installed in case they are available on both the App Store and Google Play Store. If you are having issues with the migration process, turn off Wi-Fi and then turn it on again on your old Android device.
Switch from your old iOS device to a new iOS device
If you are upgrading from your old iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch to a newer model, it is very easy to migrate your data to a new device with a feature called ‘Quick Start’. Make sure your existing Apple device is running on iOS 12.4 or later.
- Turn on your new iOS device, and put it near your older one. The Quick Start screen will appear on your existing device, with an option to set up your new device using your Apple ID. Tap Continue to proceed.
- An animation will show up on your new device. Use the camera viewfinder on your old device and center the animation. You will be asked to finish setup on your new device.
- After that, enter your current passcode and Apple ID password on your new device. You will get the option to set up Face ID or Touch ID.
- On the next page, you can either restore your apps and data from an iCloud backup or set up your phone as new. Your contacts, calendar, photos will be automatically synced on your new Apple device.
Switch from your old iOS device to a new Android device
You can only transfer your photos, contacts, calendar from your old Apple device to a new Android one. To do it, follow the instructions below.
- Turn on your new Android device. Go through the on-screen instructions until you get to the page for restoring your data from a backup of an Android device, cloud backup or an iPhone. Tap ‘An iPhone device’ to continue.
- Download Google Drive from the App Store on your iPhone.
- Log in to your existing Google Account or create a new one.
- Tap the three-lined sandwich icon (☰) above to bring up the left sidebar.
- Tap the cogwheel icon to open Settings.
- Select Backup from the list of settings. Select what data you want to back up with Google Drive.
- Tap Start Backup to back up your contacts, calendar events, photos, and videos. It might take more than an hour depending on your internet connection.
- After the backup is done, log in with the same Google account on your Android device and restore the backup. Though you have to install the apps you use from Google Play Store as there is no option to migrate your app data from iOS to Android.
In this article, we have provided detailed instructions to help you switch to a new Android or iOS device from your older one. The migration process is a bit complicated for switching between two different operating systems, but you can go through our guide to do it without facing any issues. In case you run into problems, let us know in the comments below.
For the latest tech news and updates, install TechCodex App and follow us on Facebook and Twitter. Also, if you like our efforts, consider sharing this story with your friends, this will encourage us to bring more exciting updates for you.