Spotify is finally giving users the ability to play songs, albums, and playlists via Apple’s voice assistant Siri. With the recent update to iOS 13 and the latest beta version of Spotify, you can play your favorite music hands-free with Siri. Not only Spotify but also apps like Pandora, Audible, Overcast is now getting Siri voice integration. This is possible because of Apple’s SiriKit audio framework API, which was introduced in the iOS 13 launch event. The integration is not quite on par with Apple Music or Apple Podcast, but it’s a step towards the right direction.
If you want to learn more about the new Spotify voice integration features, continue reading this article on how to play music on Spotify using Siri.
How To Play Music on Spotify using Siri
- Playing Music on Spotify using Siri
- To get started, make sure you are running iOS 13.1 on your Apple device. Here is the list of devices compatible with iOS 13.1: iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max, iPhone XS, XS Max, XR, iPhone X, 8, 8 Plus, iPhone 7, 7 Plus, iPhone 6s, 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPod touch (7th generation). In case you haven’t updated to iOS 13.1, go to Settings > General > Software Update and install the latest version of iOS.
- To use Spotify with Siri, you have to get your hands on the recent version of Spotify Beta. For that, you have to install TestFlight to download Spotify Beta on your iOS device.
- Go to the App Store, search for Testflight and install the app. Click here to get redirected to the Testflight page on App Store. After the app is installed, head over to this link and sign up for Spotify Beta.
- If you manage to sign up successfully, then you will receive an invitation email from the developer. You will see an option called ‘View in TestFlight’ or ‘Start Testing’ in the email. Tapping on it will launch the TestFlight app, where you can select Spotify Beta and install it on your device.
Note: The beta program is limited and only a select number of TestFlight users are allowed in at a time. Also, you may encounter some bugs and crashes because of the unstable nature of the app.
Playing Music on Spotify using Siri
If you have iOS 13.1 and Spotify Beta installed on your device, simply say “Hey Siri, play [Song, album or a playlist of your choice] on Spotify” to request Siri for playing music from Spotify. After that, Siri will proceed to launch Spotify on your device and play the song, album or the playlist you have requested for. Currently, Siri cannot search and play podcasts on Spotify.
The voice integration also works on Apple AirPods. In case you use AirPods, you can “Hey Siri” and request for playing your favorite song, album or playlist on Spotify.
For Apple Watch owners, there is no Spotify voice integration yet. If you try to ask Siri for playing a song on Spotify, it will reply with “I’m sorry, I can’t do that on your Apple Watch”. However, the Spotify app for Apple Watch is on the horizon. So you can expect the feature to work on your Apple Watch in the coming weeks.
It’s great to see Apple working with various app developers to integrate more and more features to Siri. They are working hard to refine the hands-free experience for multiple devices in the Apple ecosystem. If you didn’t manage to opt-in for Spotify Beta, don’t worry as Siri voice integration is coming to the stable version of Spotify sooner than you expect. We hope Apple takes its time to fix the remaining bugs and improve it more before releasing it for the public.
For the latest tech news and updates, Install TechnoCodex App and follow us on Facebook and Twitter. Also, if you like our efforts, consider sharing this story with your friends, this will encourage us to bring more exciting updates for you.