Initially released as a mobile game in 2018, Among Us has recently taken the gaming community by storm for its addictive gameplay. It currently has millions of concurrent players around the clock, thanks to the popularity among renowned Twitch streamers and YouTubers.
Among Us quickly got so popular in the mainstream media that the indie game developer behind the game, Innersloth, announced a sequel for it back in August. However, it was later canceled so that the team could work on the original game and add new content.
Unlike every other AAA multiplayer game, Among Us is more of a party game because of its ‘social-deduction’ gameplay mechanics. It takes place in a spaceship-themed environment where four to ten players take one of two roles: Crewmates and Imposters. A lobby of ten players can have up to three Imposters, with the rest being Crewmates. Their goal is to identify the Imposters and kick them out of the spaceship via votes, whereas the Imposter’s goal is to sabotage and kill the Crewmates before they finish all of their tasks.
Although Among Us does have an online lobby system, we recommend you to try out the game along with your friends on Discord for the best experience. Whether you can get it for free or not, check out this guide for more information.
Is Among Us a Free-to-Play game?
Among Us is currently available on three platforms: Android, iOS, and Windows. While the game is entirely free-to-play on Android and iOS devices, it will cost you $5 to play on Windows. The game had two paid downloadable maps, which was later made free for all players. However, in-game cosmetic bundles (pets, hats, outfits) are still paid content.
You can buy and download the Windows version of Among Us from either Steam or Itch.io. The Among Us on Android and iOS can be downloaded from the platform’s respective storefronts: Google Play Store and Apple App Store.
One of the best things about Among Us is its crossplay support. It doesn’t matter which platform you and your friends are playing on, anyone of you can host a lobby and share the lobby code with others.
How to download Among Us on Android?
As we previously mentioned, Among Us is available for download on the Google Play Store. The game doesn’t have any specific requirements, and it works with any Android device running 4.4 KitKat or later. Here’s how you can download it from the Play Store:
- First, open the Play Store from the app drawer on your Android device.
- Now tap the search bar above the Play Store window and search for the “Among Us” game.
- After that, tap Among Us in the search results. You will be redirected to the game’s download page.
- Finally, tap the Install button, then wait for the game to get installed.
Once Among Us is successfully installed on your Android device, you can launch it from the app drawer and start playing with your friends.
Note that there are in-game advertisements, which you can remove with a one-time payment of $1.99.
How to download Among Us on iOS?
If you have an iPhone or iPad, follow the steps below to download and install Among Us on it.
- First of all, go to the App Store on your Apple device.
- Now tap the Search option at the bottom and type in “Among Us” using the keyboard.
- Select Among Us from the instant search results, then tap Get. You might be asked to verify your passcode or authenticate with Touch ID / Face ID.
- After that, tap Install again to begin downloading and installing the game.
When Among Us finishes installing, you can return to the Home Screen and tap the newly created shortcut to launch the game.
Similar to the Android version, it comes with in-game advertisements that you can remove by paying $1.99. Furthermore, skins, hats, and pet bundles are also available as microtransactions.
How to get Among Us on Windows for free?
In case the $5 price tag is holding you back from trying out Among Us on your Windows PC, there are other legitimate options available as well. On capable hardware, you can use an Android emulator (e.g., Bluestacks, NoxPlayer) and play the free Android version of the game.
If it sparks your interest, then go through the following steps to play Among Us on Windows for free:
- First, visit bluestacks.com from the preferred web browser on your Windows PC or laptop, then click the Download BlueStacks button.
- The BlueStacks installer should start downloading. Once the download finishes, run the installer and go through the setup process.
- When BlueStacks is installed on your computer, launch it from the desktop shortcut. It may take several minutes for the app to launch the first time.
- Once BlueStacks finally boots you to the Android home screen, go to the App Center to download and install the latest version of Among Us.
After the installation, you can return to the BlueStacks home screen and launch the game. Using BlueStacks’ intuitive Game guide tool, you can easily configure the control scheme and play the game with your keyboard and mouse. BlueStacks does have a video guide on it, which you should definitely check out from here.
This guide has everything you need to play Among Us for free. While we do not endorse using an Android emulator to play the game on Windows, it’s the only legitimate workaround to the $5 price tag. Also, we strongly advise you to stay away from websites that offer the free Windows version of Among Us.
Due to its sudden popularity, malware-ridden copies of the game are being distributed all over the internet. Make sure to download it only from the following stores listed in this guide.
For the latest tech news and updates, Install TechCodex App, and follow us on Google News, Facebook, and Twitter. Also, if you like our efforts, consider sharing this story with your friends, this will encourage us to bring more exciting updates for you.