Multitasking is an essential part of the Windows operating system. Correct usage of the function certainly can boost your productivity and make your work simpler. The Windows Snap feature does help a lot in terms of window management, but it’s far less superior compared to using a second monitor for extending the desktop.
A dual-monitor setup gives you the freedom to snap multiple app windows on the screen at a time, but a second monitor is a rather costly investment. Furthermore, it isn’t a viable solution if you have a laptop. However, it’s totally possible to turn your Android phone or tablet into a second monitor for your Windows computer with a third-party app.
Spacedesk allows you to extend your Windows desktop with an Android device. It does everything over Wi-Fi, meaning you won’t have to deal with messy cables. This guide will tell you how to set Spacedesk up and use your Android device as a second portable monitor for your Windows desktop.
Step 1: Get Spacedesk on your Android device
The Spacedesk mobile client is available to download on the Play Store. Here’s how to get it on your Android device:
- First, go to Play Store from your app drawer or home screen.
- Next, tap the search bar above and enter “Spacedesk” in the field.
- Select Spacedesk (multi-monitor display extension screen) by datronicsoft in the top result.
- Tap the Install button on the download page, then wait for Spacedesk to get installed.
If you have an Amazon Fire tablet, go to the Amazon Appstore to download and install Spacedesk on your device.
Step 2: Install Spacedesk on Windows
In order to use Spacedesk, you will need to install the Spacedesk driver on your Windows computer. The following steps will show you what to do.
- Open a new tab in your browser and go to the spacedesk.net website.
- After that, click the burger icon on the top-right corner and select Download.
- Now download the driver that corresponds to your Windows version. If you are running the latest Windows 10 64-bit OS, select the Windows 10 (64-bit) option.
- Once the installer file completes downloading, launch it and click Next to go through the setup process.
- Finally, reboot your computer for the Spacedesk driver to take effect.
Note that Windows 7 isn’t officially supported by Spacedesk. However, you can still install the Windows 8.1 Spacedesk driver on a Windows 7 PC.
Step 3: Connect your Android device to your PC
With Spacedesk installed on your Android device and Windows computer, you are just a few steps away from extending your desktop. The whole process goes as follows:
- First, confirm that your Android device is connected to the same home network as your Windows PC.
- Now launch the Spacedesk app on Android. Make sure your PC is active.
- If everything goes correctly, the app should auto-detect your Spacedesk-enabled PC on the network. Tap Connect to proceed.
- In case you can’t connect, uncheck the box next to Auto Network Search, then manually enter your PC’s local IP address.
- To check what the local IP address is, open a Command Prompt window on your PC and run the “ipconfig” (without the quotes) command. The IPv4 address is what you should look out for.
- Enter the IP address in the Spacedesk app’s empty field and tap Connect.
Once you do that, your Windows computer will make a sound as if you connected a new device. In a few seconds, you should also see your Windows desktop show up on your Android device’s screen, duplicating everything that’s happening on your desktop.
Step 4: Extend your Windows desktop
Now that Spacedesk is working as intended, it’s time to extend the desktop instead of duplicating a copy of it on your Android device. Here’s how to do it on Windows 10:
- Right-click on the empty space on your desktop and click Display settings in the drop-down menu.
- Now select the “Extend these displays” option from the drop-down menu and click Apply.
You can now have two sets of app windows open on each screen, similar to how an extended desktop works on a real dual-monitor setup. When you are done with your work, it’s as simple as closing the Spacedesk app on your Android device.