Unlike Android’s versatile customization options, the strict software environment of iOS doesn’t allow iPhone users to make significant changes with the use of third-party apps.
This is where jailbreaking comes in. Once you jailbreak your iPhone, a new world of possibilities opens up for the users in terms of system-level customization. With that said, Apple’s proprietary security protocols and hardware-level restrictions have made it quite tricky for jailbreakers to take advantage of iOS’ security exploits in recent years.
The iOS jailbreaking scene returned last week once again with a new jailbreaking method for “every signed iOS version on every device,” including the latest iOS 13.5 release build. By taking advantage of a zero-day vulnerability, the unc0ver team has created a tool that can jailbreak all Apple devices, including the current iPhone 11 lineup of devices and the newly launched iPhone SE.
If you are ready to give up on your Apple warranty and jailbreak your iPhone for the sake of iOS tweaks and customizations, then follow this guide to jailbreak iOS 13.5 using the unc0ver tool.
There are a few things you have to confirm before jumping directly into the jailbreaking guide:
- Make sure to update your iPhone to the latest version of iOS, which is iOS 13.5 at the time of this writing. If your device is running an older version of iOS, then there’s most likely a pending update to iOS 13.5.
- Back up your personal data on local or iCloud storage in case something goes wrong during the jailbreak. Again, remember that we won’t be liable for any loss of data or unrecoverable damage to your Apple device.
- You will need a Windows-powered PC or Mac for the jailbreaking process.
Guide to jailbreak iOS 13.5 using Unc0ver
Once you have updated to the latest version of iOS and backed up your personal data, you are ready to follow the jailbreaking guide. Let’s start with installing AltStore on iOS, for which we will need AltServer on a Windows 10 PC or a Mac device. We have included separate guides for both operating systems below.
Install AltStore with Windows
- Open up a browser tab and go to altstore.io.
- Download the Windows (beta) zip file and extract the contents into a folder.
- Launch the setup file and follow the on-screen prompts to install AltServer on your Windows PC.
- Next, open up AltServer from the desktop shortcut or the Start menu. If the Windows Defender Firewall window pops up, then click Allow access to proceed.
- In case you don’t have iTunes installed on Windows, then click Download in the dialog box. It will open up your default browser and start downloading the iTunes setup file.
- Launch the iTunes setup file and install iTunes on your PC. In the middle of the installation, the User Account Control window might appear, asking you to grant iTunes to make changes. Click Yes.
- Once you install iTunes, skip the restart and relaunch Altserver. It will prompt you to check for updates. Click Check automatically to continue.
- Similar to iTunes, Altserver will ask you to install iCloud. Click Download to get the iCloud setup file, then install it by following the on-screen prompts.
- The installer will ask you to restart your PC. Click Yes. After restarting your PC, the iCloud login window should appear. However, you can ignore it since the jailbreak doesn’t require users to be logged in to iCloud.
- Now connect your iPhone to your PC using a lightning to USB cable. Tap Trust when iOS asks whether to trust the computer or not. You will have to enter your passcode.
- Open up iTunes in Windows to make sure that your iPhone is being recognized.
- If your iPhone is recognized, click the arrow icon on the right side of the Windows taskbar, then right-click the transparent diamond icon.
- Hover over Install AltStore in the drop-up menu, then select your iPhone.
- Enter your Apple ID and password in the required fields, and click Install. It will be needed just for client-to-client verification.
- Click OK again to confirm the installation of AltStore on your iPhone.
When the “Installation Succeeded” notification pops up in Windows, the AltStore icon should show up on the iOS home screen. You won’t need your PC for the jailbreak anymore.
Install AltStore with macOS
- First, launch the Safari browser to visit altstore.io.
- Click macOS in the download options, then click Allow to download the AltServer installer file.
- Open up a Finder window, then drag and drop the AltServer installer file to the Applications folder.
- Launch the installer and click Open. In a few seconds, you should see a diamond icon on the right side of the menu bar.
- Click the icon, then click Install Mail Plug-in from the drop-down menu. Click Install Plug-in the dialog box once again.
- Now enter your macOS login password, and click OK to give AltServer the required permissions.
- After that, open up the Mail app, then click the Mail tab in the menu bar.
- Select Preferences from the drop-down menu, then click Manage Plug-ins under the General tab.
- Tick the box next to AltPlugin.mailbundle, then click Apply and Restart Mail.
- Connect your iPhone to your Mac device using the lightning to USB cable. For data sync, open up the Finder window, select your iPhone from the sidebar, and click the Trust button.
- Tap Trust on your iPhone and enter the device passcode. In case you have previously connected your iPhone to your Mac, then you won’t have to do it again.
- Expand the AltServer options menu from the menu bar once again, highlight Install AltStore, and then select your iPhone.
- Enter your Apple ID and password in the dialog box, then hit Install.
- Click Continue if the installer asks you to. It will start installing AltStore on your iPhone, which shouldn’t take more than a minute.
Upon successful installation, the AltStore icon should appear on the iOS home screen. You can now follow the remaining steps below to jailbreak iOS 13.5 on your iPhone.
Jailbreak iOS 13.5
- On your iPhone, go to Settings > General and scroll down to the Device Management option.
- In the Device Management menu, tap your Apple ID, and tap the Trust “Your Apple ID” link. Click Trust once again in the pop-up window.
- Now return to the home screen to open up Safari, then enter this link in the URL bar: unc0ver.dev.
- After that, tap the Open in AltStore link below the download option on the website. Again, click Open when prompted.
- The unc0ver tool should start downloading in the AltStore app. During the download, you will be asked to enter your Apple ID and password. Once you do it, simply tap Sign In.
- Wait for the unc0ver tool to get downloaded on your iPhone. When it finishes downloading, it should appear under the Installed section. Click the green button next to it. It will then install the unc0ver tool.
- When it’s installed, go back to the home screen and tap the unc0ver icon.
- Tap the Jailbreak button and let the tool finish the process. Once it is completed, tap OK to reboot your iPhone.
- After the reboot, launch the unc0ver tool once again and tap the Jailbreak button.
- Click OK to reboot your iPhone the second time.
That’s it! You now have a jailbroken iPhone. Once your iPhone boots up, the Cydia app should appear on the home screen. With Cydia, you can install third-party plug-ins on iOS that allows you to make significant tweaks and modifications on your iPhone.
For the latest tech news and updates, Install TechCodex App, and follow us on Google News, Facebook, and Twitter. Also, if you like our efforts, consider sharing this story with your friends, this will encourage us to bring more exciting updates for you.